Top 10 tips to make your house happy while you’re away
Whether it’s a lovely summer vacation or a trip to see family at the holidays, it’s important to keep your house happy while you’re away!
- Lock all windows and doors before you leave.
- Bring in or securely lock all bicycles or other outdoor equipment.
- Secure your car by closing all the windows, locking the doors, and removing anything of value from your car.
- Keep your window coverings in their normal position, so that its less noticeable that anything has changed while you are away.
- Remove anything of value from the view from your window, especially if you leave your blinds open.
- Maintain the air temperature in your house at a reasonable temperature. In the summer, 85 is appropriate; in the winter, 60 is appropriate.
- Give your plants a healthy dose of water or ask a friend to keep them for you.
- Avoid mail and newspapers accumulating while you are gone. Ask a friend to collect your mail or request the post office to hold your mail.
- Pay your rent on time.
- Take your keys with you and keep them in a safe spot until you return.
Taking care of these few things, before you leave your house, can make the difference between an uneventful homecoming and a “what happened to my house??” return. And, in this case, an uneventful homecoming is what you want! Enjoy your trip!
Share this information: