How do we change the people on our Lease?
There are many reasons that you may want to change the people on your Lease, including studying abroad or taking an internship. The general process is very similar whether you are changing the people on your Lease temporarily or permanently.
Here are the steps:
1. The incoming tenant needs to complete a Rental Application.
2. After the Rental Application has been completed, the details, like move-in and move-out date (if applicable), will be confirmed.
3. An email, with all the Lease Amendment details, will be sent to everyone on the Lease and the incoming tenant.
4. An electronic Lease Amendment (from Docusign) will be sent to everyone on the Lease and the incoming tenant. A copy of other Lease documents (Lease, Lease Amendments, Lease Renewals, etc) will be included for the incoming tenant to review.
5. Once the Lease Amendment has been signed, a copy will be uploaded to the Documents section of the Tenant Portal.
6. The incoming tenant will be given access to the Tenant Portal. If the Lease change is permanent, the outgoing tenant will be removed from the Lease on the appropriate date.
Here are answers to some common questions about Lease Amendments.
1. Why do you do a Lease Amendment, instead of a sublease?
When subleasing, the agreement is between the person on the Lease and the incoming tenant. Instead, with a Lease Amendment, the incoming tenant joins your Lease. Through the Lease Amendment, we confirm that everyone living in the house is in agreement on the change and give the incoming tenant access to the Tenant Portal. With access to the Tenant Portal, the incoming tenant can pay their rent online, receive all notices about the property, and submit Messages about any needed repairs. A Lease Amendment achieves the same thing as a sublease, just in a better way!
2. How do we take care of the Security Deposit?
Whether the Lease Amendment is temporary or permanent, we don’t refund any portion of the Security Deposit, until the Termination Date for the Property.
If the Lease Amendment is temporary, the current tenants can choose to request a deposit from the incoming tenant, to cover any potential damages.
If the Lease Amendment is permanent, the incoming tenant(s) would be responsible for reimbursing the outgoing tenant(s) for their portion of the Security Deposit. If the outgoing tenant has caused any damage at the property, please let us know. We can estimate the cost of the damage, so that the reimbursement can account for the decrease in the Security Deposit Refund.
3. How do I get a copy of the key for the property?
Please ask the current tenants to provide a copy of the key. When the tenants take possession of the property, we provide all keys for the property.